Welcome to Cox Auto Service, a full service auto repair shop on Miramar San Diego CA 92121. Our mission is to provide you the Best Quality suspension Repair at a price that is fair. We have experience & knowledgeable auto mechanics to diagnose, repair and Service all your suspension repair need right the first time & save you Money!!!
We are a Miramar, San Diego local auto repair center, serving you since 1993.
What is Suspension
Suspension is the system of springs, shock/Struts absorbers and linkage that connects vehicle to its wheels and allows relative motion between the two. Suspension systems serve a dual purpose ? contributing to the vehicle's road holding/handling and braking for good active safety and driving pleasure, and keeping vehicle occupants comfortable and reasonably well isolated from road noise, bumps, and vibration, etc. It is important for the suspension to keep the wheel in contact with the road surface as much as possible, Because all the road or ground forces acting on the vehicle do so through the contact of the tire. The suspension also protects the vehicle itself and any cargo or luggage from damage and wear. The design of front and rear suspension of a car may be different.
Importance of good Suspension
The suspension or chassis is not something to neglect, because it supports your vehicle and affects steering, handling, braking, tire wear, and ride. How many times have you seen a vehicle broken down on the side of the road with a collapsed suspension because a ball joint failed, or the front wheels are splayed in opposite directions because a tie rod end separated? Fortunately, these kinds of catastrophic failures don't happen that often, but when they do they can have tragic consequences.
How do we inspect your suspension?
- Check all four tires for uneven wear, cupping or tread damage.
- Check the steering linkage for play.
- Check the condition of the shocks and struts.
- Check all four wheel bearings for play or roughness.
- Check the ball joints for play or wear.
- Check the suspension bushings front and rear.
- Check all the springs for damage.
- Check for leaky or damaged CV joint boots.
- Check for leaks at the differential, transmission or transaxle.
- Check your tie rod ends for damage or wear
- Check your rack & pinion
START WITH THE TIRES
Unusual tire wear is a dead giveaway that a vehicle has either an alignment problem or worn/damaged steering or suspension parts. Toe wear can produce a feathered wear pattern across both front tires and sometimes shoulder wear on the inner or outer edge of both tires. Toe wear is usually caused by worn tie rod ends, but may also result from worn or loose inner tie rod sockets on rack & pinion steering gears. Other causes include bent steering arms or misalignment in the rear wheels.
If toe wear is accompanied by steering looseness or steering wander, there is a very good chance the tie rod ends are worn. If toe wear is accompanied by a steering pull or off-center steering, rear wheel toe alignment or axle alignment may be out of specification.
* Camber wear causes uneven wear on one side of a tire may show up when control arm bushings have collapsed, ball joints are loose, a spindle or strut is bent, or a strut tower is out of its normal position (due to factory mis-assemble, collision damage, body sag or severe corrosion). Another overlooked cause of camber wear can be a front-wheel drive engine cradle that has shifted out of position to one side. A weak or broken spring can also allow camber changes in the suspension that produce camber wear on a tire.
* Cupped wear may be the result of badly worn shocks or struts, or wheel and tire imbalance.
We are conveniently located on 5782 Miramar Road, San Diego, CA. near UTC, UCSD (University of California, San Diego), MCAS Miramar (the Marine Corps Air Station), the Miramar College Campus and UTC Mall on La jolla Village Dr. Just off Interstate 15 and I805, Miramar Road is an extension of La Jolla Village Drive and Pomerado Road. Within minutes of 92121, 92122, 92037, 92092, 92014, 92130, 92131, 92145 San Diego, CA.
Our alignment services include:
- Belts & Hoses
- Drive Train Service
- Tire Rotation
- Wheel Alignment